At the start of the year we are usually filled with energy and enthusiasm, ready to set goals and conquer the world. The words of the 1989 Queen song come to mind “I want it all and I want it now!” I wish it was that simple, a wave of a magic wand and immediate gratification, getting what you want when you want it, however the truth is, “everything that matters takes time”. Whether it be a personal, career or financial goal, achieving it takes time, energy, dedication and discipline.
|In order to go from “now” to “wow” in your money matters, you need to start with what your “now” looks like. Knowing what your financial situation really looks like, means that you spend some time assessing your financial situation. The following action items are needed in order to do this.|
If you have answered no to the majority of these questions then you should start spending time managing your money. A meeting with your financial coach can assist you in taking you from your Now to WOW. A financial coach always starts by exploring your financial now and assisting you with your immediate financial concern, we then explore what your financial goals are. This is where the WOW factor comes in, what would make your financial life WOW, what do you want to achieve financially? You may have a goal to buy a home, car or get out of the debt trap or perhaps your goal is to earn more. When it comes to financial goal setting you need to start by writing down your financial goals. Amazingly, this small action has tremendous results. In fact, a Harvard Business MBA study shows that people who write down their goals are more likely to achieve them. The study on goal setting basically started by asking the graduating class a single question about their goals in life. The question was this: “Have you set written goals and created a plan for their attainment?”
of the entire class had set no goals at all
of the class had set written goals but had no concrete plans
of the class had both written goals and concrete plans
|The results? Well you may have guessed it but 10 years later, the 13% of the class that had set written goals but had not created plans, were making twice as much money as the 84% of the class that had set no goals at all. However, the 3% of the class that had both written goals and a plan, were making ten times as much as the rest of the 97% of the class. So, this year take your finances from Now to WOW by writing down your financial goals and then engaging with a financial coach to help you break this into action items and keep you motivated to achieving them.|